Visa & ARC


  1. Two types of Visa for international students:
  • Visitor Visa: short-term visa; for stay less than 180 days
  • Resident Visa: long-term visa; for stay longer than 180 days
  1. Entries:
  • Single Entry: you have only one-entry to Taiwan, so you won't be able to travel afterwards.
  • Multiple Entry: you have multiple-entry to Taiwan, so before the "ENTER BEFORE" date, you will be able to travel.
  1. Enter Before (Valid Before):
    The Enter Before Date in your visa is its expiration date. So for students who have multiple-entry visa, if you want to travel, please pay attention to your Enter Before date. You will need to enter Taiwan before the date.

Alien Resident Certificate(ARC)

  1. Students who enter Taiwan with a Resident Visa will need to apply for the ARC at the Immigration Agency within 15 days after landing.
  2. Late application will result in a fine.
  3. Your ARC will have multiple entries before the expiration date.

Exchange Student Visa Procedure

  1. 1-semester exchange:60- or 90-day Visitor Visa → Visitor Visa Extension (twice as the maximum extension times)
  2. 1-year exchange:
  • If enter TWN with Visitor Visa → apply for Resident Visa → apply for ARC → join National Health Insurance after 6 months
  • If enter TWN with Resident Visa → apply for ARC → join National Health Insurance after 6 months

Related Websites

  1. Bureau of Consular Affairs, MOFA (for Resident Visa application)
  2. National Immigration Agency (for visa extension & ARC application)